Neima Fax

Neima Fax, Photo Editor

Neima Fax has been a part of the Boiling Point team for three years now, and cannot wait for her fourth. She started out as a photographer, spent two years as Photo Editor, and is now starting as the Creative Director of the magazine. Neima finds great joy in using her love of photography and art to brainstorm ideas for visualizing the amazing stories written by the Boiling Point staff. When she's not taking photos for the Boiling Point, Neima spends her free time in the theatre acting in the drama productions. 

All content by Neima Fax
DEBATE: From right, then-seniors Sabrina Jahan, David Edwards (then Agenda Chair), and Evan Rubel discuss the Constitutional rewrite in Room 304 on Nov. 30, 2019. It was approved later in that school year, and proposals during the past two years have attempted to adorn Shalhevet’s walls with the updated document.

[Photo] Town Hall passes revised proposal to make and display new Constitution, on parchment and framed

By Jojo Eisen, 10th grade
February 17, 2024

DEBATE: From right, then-seniors Sabrina Jahan, David Edwards (then Agenda Chair), and Evan Rubel discuss the Constitutional rewrite...

REVISE: Fairness Co-Chair Evan Rubel, senior Sabrina Jahan and Agenda Chair David Edwards shared a light moment at a meeting on proposed updates to the constitution.  Considered the start of an ongoing constitutional convention, the meeting took place Nov. 20 in room 304.

[Photo] Move to revise Just Community constitution debates who should decide what’s debatable

By Molly Litvak and Jacob Joseph Lefkowitz Brooks
December 17, 2019

REVISE: Fairness Co-Chair Evan Rubel, senior Sabrina Jahan and Agenda Chair David Edwards shared a light moment at a meeting on...

LONGER:  Freshmen Amalia Abecassis, Zoe Miller and Tehilla Fishman worked on a class project last month. This year, girls are wearing midi, maxi and uniform skirts after Shalhevet changed its dress code to ban knee-length pencil skirts.

[Photo] School cracks down on pencil skirts; midis and maxis preferred

By Liad Machmali, Torah Editor
October 25, 2019

LONGER: Freshmen Amalia Abecassis, Zoe Miller and Tehilla Fishman worked on a class project last month. This year, girls are...

TRAVEL: Zev Kupferman and Maital Hiller read stories at the Pardes Jewish Day School in Phoenix on the junior chesed trip. Students received 25 hours of chesed credit.

[Photo] New student-led committee will approve chesed hours

TRAVEL: Zev Kupferman and Maital Hiller read stories at the Pardes Jewish Day School in Phoenix on the junior chesed trip. Students...

LETHARGIC: Juniors tried to stay awake. A regular school day runs from 8 a.m. to 4:35 p.m., not counting co-curriculars.

[Photo] Late-start school day gets a tryout

By Sam Rubanowitz, Staff Writer
June 18, 2019

PRIVILEGE: Mr. Eli Shavalian is one of two college counselors at Shalhevet. Only a third of public schools have even one.

[Photo] No bribes, but Shalhevet students have an edge for college

By Jacob Joseph Lefkowitz Brooks, Community Editor
June 12, 2019

POWER: Senior Yakir Kanefsky loads up to swing in the Firehawks’ 8-7 victory over the YULA Panthers April 14. The baseball team made the playoffs but lost 13-9 against the Hillcrest Christian Saints in the first round on May 2.

[Photo] Playoff appearance caps strong season for baseball team

By Tobey Lee, Features Editor
June 5, 2019

POWER: Senior Yakir Kanefsky loads up to swing in the Firehawks’ 8-7 victory over the YULA Panthers April 14. The baseball team...

PROTECTION: Workers from 911 Restoration put on protective clothing before heading downstairs to the work area. According to Mr. Albert Garcia, those working in the area must wear protective clothing to avoid being exposed to any of the contaminants.

[Photo] Basement flood repairs will take all summer, officials say

By Molly Litvak, Outside News Editor
May 28, 2019

PROTECTION: Workers from 911 Restoration put on protective clothing before heading downstairs to the work area. According to Mr....

ACTION: Leading his first Town Hall, newly elected Agenda Chair David Edwards introduced an Agenda Committee proposal for four different voting systems. A vote immediately after chose Ranked Voting as the new system.

[Photo] ‘Ranked Choice’ replaces ‘Instant Runoff’ as new election format in first Just Community decision this year

By Alex Rubel, Sports Editor
May 23, 2019

ACTION: Leading his first Town Hall, newly elected Agenda Chair David Edwards introduced an Agenda Committee proposal for four...

BEGINNING: Buds began to swell on an apple tree in Pico-Robertson today -- Jan. 21, which in the Hebrew calendar was Tu Bshvat.

[Photo] Tu B’Shvat: Your reflection in the fruit

By Rachel Lasry, Staff Writer
January 21, 2019

BEGINNING: Buds began to swell on an apple tree in Pico-Robertson today -- Jan. 21, which in the Hebrew calendar was Tu B'shvat.

SERVE:    Freshman Jessica Melamed starts a play as her teammates get into position during the Firehawks’ victory over Wish Charter in the gym Oct. 18.

[Photo] Same number of wins, newfound ‘sisterhood’ for Volleyball team

By Tobey Lee, Features Editor
November 19, 2018

SERVE: Freshman Jessica Melamed starts a play as her teammates get into position during the Firehawks’ victory over Wish...

AFTERMATH: Red Sox players meet the news media after winning the World Series four games to one at Dodger Stadium Oct. 29.  The stands above them, which had been a sea of blue and white, had mostly emptied out.

[Photo] World Series loss saddens most – but not all – Shalhevet baseball fans

By Alex Rubel, Sports Editor
October 31, 2018

AFTERMATH: Red Sox players meet the news media after winning the World Series four games to one at Dodger Stadium Oct. 29. The...

TALK: Student speakers at Town Hall Oct. 17 favored Justice Kavanaughs confirmation by a margin of two to one.

[Photo] Town Hall mostly defends Justice Kavanaugh as conversation stays civil

By Alex Rubel, Sports Editor
October 22, 2018

TALK: Student speakers at Town Hall Oct. 17 favored Justice Kavanaugh's confirmation by a margin of two to one.

David Edwards, Video Editor

[Photo] David Edwards

September 12, 2018

BP photo by Neima Fax

[Photo] Student parking lot to reopen, seniors will have priority

By Lucy Fried, Torah Editor
June 7, 2018

PARKING: A parking lot on the corner of Fairfax and San Vicente once belonged to Shalhevet but was lent to Alliance Residential...

jc elections 2018

[Photo] Talia Gill is new Agenda Chair as election approves changes

By Sivan Karz, Staff Writer
June 5, 2018

DEBATE: Agenda Chair candidates Eva Suissa, Daniel Medovoy, and Talia Gill answered questions during a debate held on May 3....

Ms. Karin, second to left, shares memories and stories of World War Two with students at her table braiding challah.

[Photo] ‘La Dough Va Dough’ event weaves challah and history

By Molly Litvak, Staff Writer
May 25, 2018

RELEVANT: Judaic Studies teacher Ms. Ilana Wilner, right, and Rabba Ramie Smith, center, described laws of marriage to seniors girls.

[Photo] MINIMESTERS 2018: Short electives explore anti-semitism, women’s law and more to combat senioritis

May 15, 2018

RELEVANT: Judaic Studies teacher Ms. Ilana Wilner, right, and Rabba Ramie Smith, center, described laws of marriage to seniors...

REMEMBRANCE: At top left corner of poster, the “Wo” is crossed out in “Women of Black History.” It was one of several that were vandalized in second-floor hallways.

[Photo] Posters of women for Black History Month are vandalized

By Lucy Fried, Torah Editor
May 11, 2018

REMEMBRANCE: At top left corner of poster, the “Wo” is crossed out in “Women of Black History.” It was one of several...

PHONE: Sophomore Shayna Schusterman shows social media is still alive and well in the second floor hallway. But some are opting in to get off of social media for while.

[Photo] Latest ‘cleanse’ is unplugging

PHONE: Sophomore Shayna Schusterman shows social media is still alive and well in the second floor hallway. But some are opting...

CHANGE: Agenda Chair Daniel Lorell heard a comment from senior Rami Gruman at Town Hall.

[Photo] Votes keep no-lunch Fridays, change boys dress code

By Shayna Becker, Staff Writer
April 10, 2018

TOGETHER: Mia Freeman and Hayley Licata answer students and teachers questions after telling their stories.

[Photo] Students from Florida school shooting tell their stories

March 23, 2018

TOGETHER: Mia Freeman and Hayley Licata answer students' and teachers' questions after telling their stories.

AWARD: Newspaper and Yearbook staff of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., accept a Gold Crown Award from CSPA March 16  in New York City.  An audience of about 1,200 students and advisers, including staff of the Boiling Point, gave them a standing ovation.

[Photo] Student journalists from Parkland high school tell CSPA how they covered shooting that killed 17

By Hannah Jannol, Editor-in-Chief
March 22, 2018

AWARD: Newspaper and Yearbook staff of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., accept a Gold Crown Award from...

EXPLORE: Mrs. Samantha Garelick, right, explained to Michelle Navi and Yehudah Zadeh in the new art room, B102.

[Photo] New media arts and journalism classes offered to freshmen

By Sivan Karz, Staff Writer
March 18, 2018

Senior Elana Czuker takes on for the Purple team.

[Photo]

Junior Ami Nelson of the Red Team cracked an egg on his forehead during Color War in a game of Egg Roulette, where students tried to guess which eggs were fresh and which hard-boiled.

[Photo]

Junior Ami Nelson of the Red Team cracked an egg on his forehead during Color War in a game of Egg Roulette, where students tried...

WINNER: Firehawk basketball star Maital Hiller heads for the basket as freshman Sarah Namvar catches up.

[Photo]

Sophomore Zev Kupferman joins the apache cloth sack race.

[Photo]

ADVOCATE: Eitan Arom, former senior writer at the Jewish Journal, told JSPA attendees how journalism can represent the downtrodden while still being true to journalistic principles. He has publicized of the plight of the Yazidi minority in Iraq.

[Photo] Annual JSPA conference helps students see journalism through Jewish lens

By Kate Orlanski, Staff Writer
March 11, 2018

ADVOCATE: Eitan Arom, former senior writer at the Jewish Journal, told JSPA attendees how journalism can represent the downtrodden...

SCROLL: Adam Ritz helped carry a tallit as the new Sephardic Torah was paraded around the parking lot in its case, called a tik.

[Photo] Spotlight on Sephardic community with new Torah dedication

By Sivan Karz, Staff Writer
March 9, 2018

SCROLL: Adam Ritz helped carry a tallit as the new Sephardic Torah was paraded around the parking lot in its case, called a tik....

DISPERSION: College banners hang outside College Counselor Lisa Gruenbaums office, representing the diversity in the decisions kids make about where to go to college.

[Photo] College-bound students weigh how far to fly the coop

By Hannah Jannol, Editor-in-Chief
February 19, 2018

DISPERSION: College banners hang outside College Counselor Lisa Gruenbaum's office, representing the diversity in the decisions...

CONSERVATIVE: Ben Shapiro was greeted enthusiastically in the Beit Midrash on January 17.

[Photo] An uncensored Ben Shapiro explains controversial views at first YAF event

By Jacob Joseph Lefkowitz Brooks, Arts and Culture Editor
January 21, 2018

NEW: Rabbi Block is now taking on oversight of the Judaic Studies department after joining the staff last year

[Photo] ‘Strategic shuffling’ and new staff member will cover roles of former principal, Rabbi Segal announces

By Hannah Jannol and Clara Sandler
January 11, 2018

UPDATE: A multi-level stage and choreographed fight scenes are some of the ways Shalhevet Theater hopes to modernize Sophocles 2500-year-old play, Antigone.  Donna Grunfeld, at center in white shirt, rehearsing her role as Antigone with Daniel Medovoy, Amin Lari, Shana Lunzer and Albert Gordon in the Wildfire Theatre.

[Photo] With ‘Antigone,’ theater department hopes to make Ancient Greece seem modern

By Hannah Poltorak, Staff Writer
January 3, 2018

UPDATE: A multi-level stage and choreographed fight scenes are some of the ways Shalhevet Theater hopes to modernize Sophocles'...

Several varieties and several colors of tomatoes are growing in the garden.

[Photo] I’ll have the caprese: New student-tended rooftop garden offers herbs to pick, vegetables for sale

By Molly Litvak, Staff Writer
January 3, 2018

Keratin

[Photo] OPINION: Taming our roots

By Hannah Jannol, Editor-in-Chief
December 31, 2017

After participating in many co-curriculars, Eva Suissa has learned that its better to engage in fewer, more meaningful activities and say no to too many opportunities.

[Photo] COLUMN: In co-curriculars, less is more

December 24, 2017

After participating in many co-curriculars, Eva Suissa has learned that it's better to engage in fewer, more meaningful activities...

SPLIT: Senior Rosie Wolkind led the girls portion of Town Hall Oct. 19. Students were divided by gender for the first half of the meeting

[Photo] If it hurts, is it harassment? And who should report it?

By Shayna Becker, Staff Writer
November 6, 2017

SPLIT: Senior Rosie Wolkind led the girls' portion of Town Hall Oct. 19. Students were divided by gender for the first half of...

LIGHT: College counselor Lisa Gruenbaum offers advice in her airy new office on the third floor, behind the stairwell where the Student Activities office used to be.

[Photo] On the move: New titles, offices for administrators

By Tobey Lee, Sports Editor
October 10, 2017

LIGHT: College counselor Lisa Gruenbaum offers advice in her airy new office on the third floor, behind the stairwell where the...

PLAN: The Agenda Committees officers and faculty advisors discussed the first weeks Town Hall during their meeting on August 28.

[Photo] Agenda Committee summer meetings focus on Town Hall changes, proposals and constitution

By Hannah Jannol, Editor-in-Chief
September 28, 2017

PLAN: The Agenda Committee's officers and faculty advisors discussed the first week's Town Hall during their meeting on August...

PRACTICE: Shalhevet’s Zach Muller passed to a teammate as the Firehawks practiced throughout the summer.

[Photo] Firehawks headed back to Sarachek for a fourth straight year

By Tobey Lee, Sports Editor
September 27, 2017

CHANGE: Aviva Walls has a new office on the second floor adjacent to Rabbi Ari Schwarzbergs.

[Photo] Aviva Walls moves beyond college counseling to become school’s first female academic administrator

By Lucy Fried, Features Editor
September 6, 2017

CHANGE: Aviva Walls has a new office on the second floor adjacent to Rabbi Ari Schwarzberg's.

TEAMWORK: Coach Jeff Remer compared basketball teammates to the fingers on a persons hand, saying all are necessary to get the job done.

[Photo] New girls basketball coach plans to focus on fundamentals

By Nicholas Fields, Staff Writer
September 4, 2017

TEAMWORK: Coach Jeff Remer compared basketball teammates to the fingers on a person's hand, saying all are necessary to get the...

UPDATED:  Lunch
is 15 minutes longer for 9th grade than last year but MAP period still exists. Freshmen arranged their schedules as sticky tiles on a grid during orientation Aug. 24.

[Photo] Lunch is back as new schedule fixes problems created by last year’s

By Clara Sandler, Community Editor
September 3, 2017

UPDATED: Lunch is 15 minutes longer for 9th grade than last year but MAP period still exists. Freshmen arranged their schedules...

EARLY: Rabbi Abraham Lieberman held a daily Talmud shiur this year that met at 7 a.m.

[Photo] Rabbi Abraham Lieberman arrives with experience and ‘gravitas’

By Clara Sandler, Community Editor
September 1, 2017

REPUTATION: Like previous math chair Mrs. Malikov, Dr. Walton also hails from feeder school Maimonides Academy, as their math department chair.

[Photo] New math chair loves English and writing, too

By Hannah Jannol, Editor-in-Chief
August 30, 2017

REPUTATION: Like previous math chair Mrs. Malikov, Dr. Walton also hails from feeder school Maimonides Academy, as their math...

NEWS: Israeli journalist Sivan Rahav-Meir spoke in the small Beit Midrash Feb. 2.

[Photo] ‘Orthodox Jew on Channel 2’ brings Torah to journalism in Israel

By Jacob Perelman, Staff Writer
February 16, 2017

Load More Stories