Newest math teacher loves a good board game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tyler Ekaireb, Outside News editor

Make sure to say hello to Mr. Andrew Sinajon, a new face in Shalhevet’s math department.  If he is not rushing off for a hike — or concentrating on a board game — he will likely be delighted to meet you.

And though he is new to Shalhevet he is no stranger to mathematics. Mr. Sinajon — pronounced SIN-a-john — has spent the past few years working for Mathnasium, a group of learning centers dedicated to helping students of all ages with math. He began there as an instructor and later developed curricula for the group.

Before Mathnasium, Mr. Sinajon worked at Brentwood Science Magnet, an LAUSD elementary school that emphasizes STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) subjects.

He comes to Shalhevet armed with a passion for math and a simple philosophy:

“I think every student is capable of learning math and gaining a solid foundation,” said Mr. Sinajon, who will be teaching Algebra 2 and Geometry.

“Some students may take to it more naturally,” he said. “But I firmly believe that all people can gain that foundation. I want to help students develop that confidence.”

Outside of the classroom, Mr. Sinajon enjoys spending time outdoors, usually hiking and camping.

He is also partial to a good board game, and maintains a sizeable collection of his own. His current favorite is “Food Chain Magnate,” where players vie for business in the food industry.

Mr. Sinajon grew up in Costa Mesa, which is about one hour south of Los Angeles. He attended UCLA as an undergraduate and has lived in the area ever since. He currently resides in Culver City.

Meet the Writer
Tyler Ekaireb, Outside News Editor

Tyler has been working for the Boiling Point for two years, and is currently the Editor of Outside News. When he isn't writing a story or editing a Table Talk, you can probably find him in the robotics lab.