Firehawks girls defeat Jordan to advance to CIF Southern Section semifinal

Team will face Buena Park tomorrow night in Shalhevet gym

Sam Elyaszadeh

WIN: Junior Yalee Schwartz scored 28 points against Jordan High School Wednesday night.

By Benjamin Gamson, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Firehawks girls basketball team advanced to the CIF Southern Section Division 4AA semi- final Wednesday night, defeating Jordan High School Panthers of Long Beach 49-24 in the Shalhevet gym.

The victory means that the Firehawks have clinched a spot in the CIF State tournament for the second year in a row, where they will play a team from Northern California if they advance to the finals. Last year they played in the State Championship game in Sacramento at the Golden 1 Center, losing to the San Domenico Panthers 38-27. 

This year’s semi-final is set for Saturday night at 7:45 p.m., also in the Firehawks’ home gym, and Shalhevet will face off against the Buena Park Coyotes. 

Buena Park ended its regular season with a 23-6 record and went 8-2 in the Freeway League coming in second place. 

Shalhevet ended its regular season with a 22-1 record and went 4-0 in the Mulholland League coming in first place. 

Whoever wins Saturday’s game will play either the Silverado Hawks or the Rialto Knights.

Wednesday’s game showcased a strong Firehawks team. They ended the first quarter up 11-5, and in the second quarter extended their lead to 21-12. 

In the third quarter, when the Firehawks scored 16 points – the highest scoring quarter for them in the game – the Panthers only scored one point. That quarter ended with Shalhevet leading 37-13. 

Shalhevet scored an additional 12 points in the fourth, while Jordan scored 11. 

Top scorer for the Firehawks was junior Yalee Schwartz with 28. Her fellow junior Arielle Grossman scored 17 points including three threes. 

The Panthers ended their regular season with an 18-12 record and went 6-6 in the Moore League coming in fourth place.