Covid Tracker – February 23-24


Logo Design by Sarah Feuer, Photo by Benjamin Gamson

POLL: View a slideshow of poll results by clicking through the Gallery box below.

By Benjamin Gamson, Eli Weiss, and Molly Litvak

This week, percentages of “yes” answers increased across all six questions in the Boiling Point’s bi-weekly survey of how Covid is impacting members of the Shalhevet community.

The percentage of students and staff who said that they had ever tested positive for Covid-19 rose from 7.6% on the Feb. 9-10 poll to 8.9% last week.

The percentage of students and staff who said they had been exposed to the illness increased from 24.6% Feb.10 to 25.7% as of Feb. 24.

This week’s poll was posted (and linked on Schoology and in other school chats) Feb. 23 – 24. There were 101 students and staff who responded. 

Also increasing was the percentage of people who said someone in their household had tested positive. This rose from 16.1% Feb. 9 and 10  to 17.8 percent Feb. 23-24.  

And the percentage of community members who personally know someone who has contracted Covid-19 increased in the same period as well, from 90.7% two weeks ago to 92.1% now.

The percentage of people responding who said they knew personally someone who had died from the illness increased from 16.1% to 23.8%.

Now that vaccine distribution is underway, the Covid Tracker has added a question asking whether the respondent or anyone in their household has received it. 

In the Feb. 9-10 tracker, the total percentage was 22% of respondents answered that they or someone in their household had received one dose, and 22.9% said two doses. 

This week, 14.9% of respondents answered that they or someone in their household had received one dose, and 41.6% (42) of people responded saying two doses — together, suggesting that 56.5% of the Shalhevet community has at least one household member who is at least partially immunized.  

Fewer than half — 43.6% — said either that no one in their household had yet had the vaccine or that they were unsure.

Absolute numbers of “yes” answers were lower in both polls, reflecting a decrease in the number of respondents, from 118 last time to 101 in the more recent survey.

The Boiling Point is conducting a Covid-19 tracking project to watch how Covid cases are progressing not only at school but among friends, family and personal acquaintances of Shalhevet community members. 

The survey is not scientific. Originally it was posted whenever there was a Town Hall, but it is now published every other week, and community members including students, faculty and staff have until midnight the following night to respond.

Click on the gallery below to see answers to all Feb. 23-24 Covid Tracker questions.

Type “Covid Tracker” in the search box for information on previous time periods.