Firehawks sent home following CIF second-round defeat

BP Photo by Ashley Botnick

TOUCH: Junior Jacob Posky attempts a shot off a rebound in the Firehawk loss to the Westlake Warriors 83-49 on Feb. 15. With the CIF playoffs in the rearview mirror, the Firehawks have diverted the Red Sarachek Tournament in March, which they hope to win for the third year in a row.

By Alex Rubel, Senior Editor

This year’s Firehawk boys basketball playoff run came to a halt on Saturday night, Feb. 15, as the team lost to the Westlake Warriors 83-49 in the second-round of the CIF Division 3AA playoffs.

A spirited crowd of about 60 Firehawk fans drove 35 miles to the Warriors gym to support their team. But the talented Warrior team took control of the game, overpowering the Firehawks on both ends of the court. Westlake led the entire game. 

This season, Shalhevet finished 6-1 in Mulholland League action, and beat Buena High School of Ventura 68-59 in the first round of the playoffs. They also finished in second place in the Fifth Annual Glouberman Tournament last fall. 

The boys will hope to bounce back and secure a third straight title at the Red Sarachek Tournament in mid-March. No school has ever won three straight titles in the tournament’s history.