Firehawks lose to Wildcats in Sarachek championship game

BP Photo by Ezra Fax

FINALS: Students gathered in the gym yesterday to watch the Firehawks face the DRS Wildcats in the championship game at Red Sarachek Tournament at Yeshiva University in New York.

By Jordan Levine, Web Editor-in-Chief

After defeating the Frisch Cougars 54-43 in the Tier 1 semi-finals, the Firehawks went on to lose the Sarachek Tier 1 Finals against the DRS Wildcats of Woodmere, N.Y., 47-32.

There was a revised bell schedule yesterday so students could watch the game live in the gym, broadcast on macslive.com.  At 11:05 a.m., students found their seats in the gym, and sang along to the national anthem with the rest of the fans at Sarachek on screens next to the stage.

But the celebration they had hoped for didn’t materialize, as the Cougars took control in the second quarter of the game.   The Firehawks didn’t score at all in the second quarter, earned only six points in the third and were unable to come back in the fourth.

“We just didn’t hit our shots,” said freshman Zack Muller. “I can’t explain why.”

The first quarter had been all Shalhevet, as the team scored 13 points.

Senior guard Joe Schnitzer enjoyed the tournament overall, saying he enjoyed making new friends with players from faraway schools.

“It was really competitive, and I really enjoyed playing until the end when our season came to a sad end,”said Joe “Regardless, it was an experience I will never forget.”