Debate team finishes strongly at Princeton Model Congress in D.C.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Karen Meir, BP

Karen Meir, BP

Karen Meir, BP

THE MOTION STANDS: Junior Justin Brandt-Sarif presents in full session. He later received honorable mention in committee.

Tamar Willis, Staff Writer

At Princeton Model Congress, Shalhevet’s delegation raked in nine awards, earning three Gavels and six Honorable Mentions, marking the school’s second best performance at Princeton Model Congress and fourth-best performance at a Model Congress conference.

The delegation of 26 students flew to Washington, D.C. on Nov. 17 and stayed for the duration of the conference, which ended on the 21st.

Juniors Michael Suriel, Leona Fallas, and David Rokah each won a gavel, which is awarded to the best delegate in each committee.  Senior Jenny Newman, junior Justin Brandt-Sarif, junior Eitan Spitzer, and senior Nathaniel Kukurudz each received Honorable Mentions.  Senior Ari Tuchman was awarded two Honorable Mentions, both in his committee and in full session, where all committees in each senate debate together.

“We all bonded and had a great time,” said junior Deanna Grunfeld.  “Though we didn’t do as well as last year’s [team], it was still our second best year. It was so much fun, and I’m really happy I went and experienced it with old and new friends.”

This article was corrected 1/01/2011.  An earlier version misstated how this conference compared to previous years.  The 2010 Princeton Model Congress trip was Shalhevet’s second best Princeton Model Congress trip and fourth best Model Congress trip overall, not their best and second best, respectively.

Meet the Writer
Tamar Willis, Editor-In-Chief Emeritus

Tamar Willis is a junior at Princeton University where she writes and serves as business manager for the culture magazine Nassau Weekly.

She joined the Boiling Point staff in ninth grade and served as Staff Writer, Features Editor, Outside News Editor and Sports Editor, winning national awards in feature writing from Quill and Scroll, the American Jewish Press Association and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.  In high school, English and US History were her favorite subjects, and she loved to read and write, especially for the Boiling Point!

Tamar says that if she were a punctuation mark, she would be an Oxford comma or an exclamation point.  Tamar could eat sushi for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and she thinks Clueless is one of the best movies ever made.

Tamar was Deputy Editor and then Editor-in-Chief of the Boiling Point in 2013-14 school year, leading the paper to its second CSPA Gold Crown Award the following spring....