‘Hawks beat Panthers in overtime


Honor Fuchs

DOMINANT: Shalhevet center Ben Mashiach blocks a shot by YULA’s Joseph Sassoon Jan. 3. Ben said the pressure of the rivalry game worked to the Firehawks’ advantage.

By Hannah Poltorak, Staff Writer, and Tobey Lee, Sports Editor 

In a back and forth game with bragging rights on the line, the crosstown rivals Shalhevet Firehawks and YULA Panthers squared off on Jan. 3., resulting in a Firehawk win in overtime 51-46.

The gym was vibrant and loud, with the crowd constantly roaring. The total audience was at 100 fans, with 1,068 more viewing online, according to Google Analytics.

The Firehawks led by as many as 10 at one point, but otherwise the score was tight throughout. At the end of the first quarter, the Firehawks were up 16-6, however, by halftime, the Panthers had cut the lead in half and were only down by five. At the end of the third quarter, the Firehawks were up by five.

Going into the fourth quarter, the Firehawks were up 38-33, however, after two quick buckets from the Panthers, the game was tied up at 38. With 25.1 seconds left in the game, YULA was up 41-40 with the ball. Shalhevet’s chances of winning were low.

YULA had the ball, however, with 16.3 seconds, the ball was stolen out of Albert Fallas’ hands by Zach Muller.

Muller then was fouled, and hit one of two free throws to tie the game up at 41.

The game was then headed to overtime, where the Firehawks comfortably took the win, outscoring the Panthers 10-5 in the overtime period.

Freshman Ze’ev Remer said that the Firehawks were tested, however, didn’t lose their cool under pressure.

“I think it’s one of our best games… we lost the lead but we stay composed and we were able to put the game into overtime and end up pulling out the ‘W’ [win],” he said.

Junior Jeremy Asheghian said that getting the win was a statement to his friends from YULA that he’s known for years.

“Knowing everyone — the kids that I’ve played with since like in 5th grade — beating them proved a lot,”
he said.

Senior Ben Mashiach said that playing in a high pressure situation was an advantage for the Firehawks.

“It gives us more incentive to win,” he said.

On the other hand, YULA’s players said that they had a challenging game. Sophomore Albert Fallas said that he felt like he did not play well.

“It was one of my worst games…. I don’t think I was aggressive enough, my head was out of the game, I wasn’t concentrated, it was a tough one,” he said.

Nicky Schlanger said the Panthers were not on top of their game.

“We just didn’t do what we do best, we gotta come out and box out and finish on the rebounds and we just didn’t do what we were supposed to do,” he said.

The first quarter started off with the Firehawks dominating the game. Asher Dauer and Ben Mashiach hit two consecutive shots for the Firehawks, sparking an early 4-0 lead in the first.

After two free throws from YULA’s Noah Pomerance, freshman Ze’ev Remer hit a three pointer to put the Firehawks up 7-2.

In the middle of the first quarter, the teams were trading buckets. YULA’s Albert Fallas hit an easy layup, and on the other hand Shalhevet’s Ben Mashiach got another basket for the Firehawks. With 3:52 in the first, the Firehawks were up 9-6.

From this point on, the Firehawks went on a 7-0 run to end the first quarter. After a made free throw from Ben Mashiach, and three baskets from Jeremy Asheghian, Zach Muller, and Asher Dauer, the Firehawks were up 16-6 on the YULA Panthers.

At the start of the second quarter, the YULA Panthers starting heating up, especically Noah Pomerance. After hitting two straight shots, Pomerance brought the Panthers back to within 5. Shalhevet was up 16-11 with 6:30 left in the second.

YULA then hit back to back shots, and were within one. The Panthers were a 10-1 run.

However, the Firehawks quickly responded with two three pointers, and the Firehawks were up 23-18.

After two free throws made by Jeremy Asheghian, the Panthers got back into the game, with two straight shots from Noam Miesels and Noah Pomerance. YULA was down one, by a score of 25-24.

The Firehawks then ended the half with two straight buckets, and finished the first half leading the Panthers 29-24.

The beginning of the second half started with YULA inching closer and closer to gaining the lead. Noah Pomerance hit two buckets, and the Panthers were back within striking distance, and the score was 30-28.

However, the Firehawks gained some momentum, and going into the 4th quarter, the Firehawks were up 38-33.

As the fourth quarter started, the Panthers were back into the game. After a three by Daniel Totaiv and a layup by Noam Miesels, the game was tied at 38 a piece.

The Firehawks nearly lost the game at the end of the fourth quarter, when they were down by one and Zach Muller turned the ball over with 21 seconds left. However, when the Firehawks were on defense, Zach Muller stole the ball, was fouled, and made one out of two free throws.

The game was at a deadlock tie of 41-41, and the game was headed to overtime.

For the Firehawks, overtime was a time to start over. And indeed they did, as they ended up just beating the Panthers by a score of 51-46.