Where weeds once grew

Leila Miller, Outside News Editor

aaaaaaa

VEGGIE CREW: Maintenance worker Javier Sanchez waters the new vegetable garden outside the Music and Math Departments on the north end of school June 17. For their senior project, seniors Jenny Newman and Jaclyn Kellner planted 88 vegetable plants in what had been dry and weed-covered dirt, first digging up the weeds and then replacing some of the soil.  They hope to sell the produce — from 28 tomato (including the cherry tomato, above center), two parsley, 14 cucumber, four squash, 36 strawberry and four horseradish plants, along with a blueberry bush, to raise funds for future senior Poland/Israel trips. “We hope students will visit the garden and learn what their food looks like as it grows,” said Jaclyn. They were aided by junior Leah Katz and freshman Eric Lunzer, who say they will take care of the garden next year along with junior Adam Kellner and Judaic Studies teacher Mr. Jason Feld.

Meet the Writer
Leila Miller, Editor-in-Chief Emeritus

Currently a staff writer at the Los Angeles Times, Leila has already had a distinguished career in journalism, writing ground-breaking reports for the Miami Herald, Moment Magazine and the Jewish Journal, particularly on the Jewish community in Argentina and its history through that country's "dirty war" and beyond.  She also has interned for KCRW News in Santa Monica.

A graduate of Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism in New York,  she is Argentinian by birth and fluent in Spanish. She enjoyed her first dulce de leche ice cream at five months, became a Harry Potter fanatic at age eight, and got her second ear piercing at 14.  Leila joined The Boiling Point team as a freshman, and her story assignments led her to her first-ever rock concert at the Troubadour (Say Anything!), watch intense behind-the-scenes Drama rehearsals, and wake up early before school to interview Jewish community leaders in Chile after the earthquake...