GLOUBERMAN DAY 1: A comeback and a landslide open Firehawks’ Glouberman as both boys’ and girls’ teams win

BP Photo by Sam Elyaszadeh

CLOSE: Berman lead after the first half of the game 36-29, but Shalhevet took the lead in the second half winning 71-64. Sophomore Yalee Schwartz dribbles down the court in the first quarter.

By Benjamin Gamson, Editor-in-Chief

Both Shalhevet basketball teams won last night, the Shalhevet girls team defeating Berman Hebrew Academy of Rockville, Md., 71-64 in a come-from-behind victory, and the boys team in a dominant 63-39 win over the Flatbush Falcons. 

This opened the Seventh Annual Glouberman Basketball Tournament, which this year brings 18 teams from 11 Modern Orthodox Jewish high schools from across the United States to compete over four days. 

The Firehawk girls’ game was competitive, showing important strengths in both teams as Berman dominated the first half and Shalhevet the second.  For the Firehawks, Talia Tizabi, Talia Tibi, Arrielle Grossman, Malia Nagel and Yalee Schwartz had strong showings. For the Berman Cougars, Tali Cohen, Ma’ayan Zakheim and Maya August were dominant. 

The Firehawks ended the first quarter down 17-14. In the second quarter Berman scored another 17 points and held the Firehawks to just eight, taking a 12-point lead over Shalhevet 34-22 with two minutes left of the quarter. The first half ended with the Cougars up 36-29. 

In the third quarter the Firehawks scored 26 points and took the lead for the first time, ending the quarter with a 13 point lead, 58-45. 

The Firehawks scored an additional 13 points in the fourth to secure the victory, 71-64. 

In an interview right after the game, Berman head coach Danilo Pinnock said the Firehawks’ comeback had not been a surprise and he was proud of his team.

“So I kinda expected it — I even told them in the locker room that in the second half, expect them to come out and punch you in the mouth, and that’s what happend,” said Coach Pinnock.

“This is our first dress rehearsal, so we gotta get used to that, that’s all. So I’m proud of my girls. They fought their tails off, and we’ll probably see you guys later in the tournament.”

Next up, the Shalhevet boys team defeated the Flatbush Falcons from Brooklyn, N.Y., 63-39. 

The teams seemed greatly mismatched, with the Firehawks leading by as many as 40 points at times. 

After the first quarter, the Firehawks led by 17-2. After the second quarter, the score was 41-15. After the third quarter, the score was 57-24. 

The final score was 63-39. 

Shalhevet junior Avi Halpert was the top scorer for the boys with 27 points in the game. 

Later in the evening, YULA boys’ and girls’ teams of Los Angeles faced off against Ramaz. YULA girls beat Ramaz girls 42-37, while Ramaz beat YULA boys 58-52.