Covid Tracker – February 9-10

By Benjamin Gamson, Eli Weiss, and Molly Litvak

This week, the percentage of students and staff who said that they had ever tested positive for Covid-19 rose, from 6.6% in the Jan. 26-27 survey to 7.6% Feb. 9 and 10.

Although the percentage rose, the number of students saying they had ever tested positive for Covid-19 remained the same — nine. The percentage increase reflected a decrease in the number of respondents this week, from 136 respondents Jan. 26 to 118 respondents as of Feb. 10.

Both the number and percentage of students and staff who said they had been exposed to coronavirus decreased, from 40 people (29.4%) on Jan. 26 to 29 people 24.6, again reflecting a difference in which community members took the poll. 

The Boiling Point is conducting a Covid-19 tracking project to watch how Covid cases are progressing not only at school but among friends, family and personal acquaintances of Shalhevet community members. 

The survey is not scientific. Originally it was posted whenever there was a Town Hall, but it is now published every other week, and community members including students, faculty and staff have until midnight the following night to respond.

This week’s poll was posted (and linked on Schoology and in other school chats) Feb. 9 – 10. There were 118 students and staff who responded. 

The numbers and percentage of students and staff who responded that someone in their own household had had Covid-19 also decreased, from 22 people (16.2%) two weeks ago to 19 people (16.1%) this week. 

The percentage of community members who know someone who has contracted Covid-19 slightly increased between these two polls — from 123 (90.4%) people last week to 107 (90.7%) people this week. 

The percentage of people responding who said they knew personally someone who had died from the illness decreased from 18.4% (25 of 136) to 16.1% (19 of 118).  This compares with 40 students and staff who knew someone who had died when the Boiling Point Covid Tracker was initiated Oct. 13- 14. That poll had 143 respondents.

Now that vaccine distribution is underway, the Covid Tracker has added a question asking whether the respondent or anyone in their household has received it. 

Almost half of respondents said someone who they live with has received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine. This week, 22% (26) of respondents answered that they or someone in their household had received one dose, and 22.9% (27) of people responded saying two doses — together, suggesting that 44.9% of the community has a household member who is at least partially immunized.  

In the Jan. 26 tracker, the total percentage was 39.7% — 26.5% (36) of respondents answered that they or someone in their household had received one dose, and 13.2% (18) people said two doses. 

This week, 55.1% said that no one in their household had yet had the vaccine or that they were unsure.