Swim team competes at local YULA tournament

RACE: Firehawk feet breaking the water at UCLA's North Pool during last month's tournament.

Tobey Lee, Sports Editor

W

hile there are multiple Jewish basketball tournaments that day schools can participate in in the span of one year, other sports teams don’t usually play in such competitions, and when they do, they’re maybe once a year.

This year, the Lady Firehawks Swim and Volleyball teams competed against other Jewish schools in the YULA Girls Swim and Volleyball Tournament from April 26 to 28.

Other teams in the tournament were Ma’ayanot Yeshiva High School of Teaneck, N.J., Frisch School of Paramus, N.J., and Los Angeles’ De Toledo High School and YULA Girls High School.

Swim events were held at UCLA and Santa Monica Community College, while volleyball games were played at the Westside JCC.

YULA won both the swim and volleyball tournaments. But four Firehawk swimmers won their races: freshman Noa Ablin, sophomore Elianna Kupferman, and juniors Abby Blumofe and Lucy Fried, according to sophomore swim team member Maya Tochner.

Meanwhile, the volleyball team lost four games. Some players on the team weren’t originally on the roster, but played just for the tournament in order to create a full team.

After the games were played, all teams celebrated Shabbat together, with davening at Beth Jacob, Kiddush lunch at YULA Girls High School, and learning and hanging out throughout the day.

After Shabbat, the volleyball championship game was held, crowning YULA as the champion. Shortly after, a closing ceremony ended the tournament.

Meet the Writer
Tobey Lee, Features Editor
Tobey Lee joined Boiling Point his freshman year, writing award-winning stories about the boys basketball team and delving into the intricacies of the California Interscholastic Federation.  From there, he became Sports Editor as a sophomore and he is now the editor of the Features section. Aside from BP, Tobey enjoys singing bass in the choir, hanging out with friends and spending time with his family.