Firehawk boys defeat Arcadia to advance in CIF basketball playoffs

Sam Elyaszadeh

CHARGE: Firehawk senior Avi Halpert jumps to score against Arcadia, in the first quarter of what became a comeback victory Wednesday night in the Shalhevet gym.

By Benjamin Gamson, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Shalhevet Boys Basketball team defeated the Arcadia High School Apaches 67-65 this evening, advancing to the second round of the CIF Division 2A playoffs. 

Playing before a lively, standing-room crowd in the Shalhevet gym, the Firehawks won a game that toward the end was extremely close. They trailed through most of the first quarter and came back only partially in the third. 

But they advanced more decisively in the fourth. With four minutes left to play, Shalhevet led 57-52. 

The team will play the La Mirada Matadores in the second round of the playoffs on Friday. According to the CIF Southern Section website, La Mirada defeated the Bishop Amat Lancers tonight 66-46.

After the first quarter, Arcadia led 16-14. 

The Apaches expanded their lead over the Firehawks in the second quarter, entering halftime leading by nine points, 45-36. 

Shalhevet reversed the momentum of the game in the second half and came back ending the third quarter 50-49, down by only one. 

In the fourth quarter, Shalhevet took the lead and maintained it, winning 67-65.