Daniel Schwartz and Hannah-Leeba Ellenhorn elected to lead Agenda Committee

By Alexa Fishman, Staff Writer

The Shalhevet Just Community learned results from run-off elections for Agenda Chair and Vice Chair this morning, and Daniel Schwartz was elected chair while Hannah-Leeba Ellenhorn is the new vice chair.

Daniel Schwartz had  earlier  won the most votes for Agenda chair in the four-way race but did not receive a majority vote of 50 percent.  Therefore, he faced off with junior Rose Bern, who came in second, in a runoff Wednesday to determine whom the Agenda Chair next year would be.

Science and math teacher Mr. Christopher Buckley, who tallied the votes, announced the results via e-mail this morning after counting ballots received overnight from seniors on the Poland-Israel trip.

Originally,there were four candidates for Agenda Chair.  After a campaign that included speeches at one Town Hall and a debate at another, Daniel and Rose defeated Jacob Ellenhorn and Erin Sharfman to advance to the runoff.

Sophomores Hannah-Leeba Ellenhorn and Sarah Soroudi faced off for the position of Agenda Vice Chair. Though Hannah-Leeba did receive more votes than Sarah, she also did not get the 50 percent majority required to automatically get the position.   Behind them were Elliot Sassover and Gaby Golan.

Freshman Sigal Spitzer won outright for the position of Agenda Secretary with a 59 percent majority over fellow freshman Adam Rokah.

Additionally, sophomore Justin Nemapour won the position of SAC Vice Chair with a 60 percent majority, defeating Esther Levy and Maya Ben-Shushan.

Rebecca Mandel and JoJo Fallas were elected the new Fairness co-chairs for the upcoming school year. They defeated a large field including Jordan Banafsheha, Talia Topper, Eitan Rothman and Michael Lenett.

In all, about 165 votes were cast, including online votes from the seniors and faculty on the Poland and Israel trip.  Mr. Buckley said about half the seniors had voted.

The run-off was held in the foyer during lunch, using paper ballots. But seniors and absentees could vote online, and Mr. Buckley said their votes would not be totalled until Thursday morning.  Final election results are expected at Town Hall tomorrow.