• The Boiling Point has reached its millionth online view! Thank you, readers!
Shalhevet news online: When we know it, you'll know it

Shiloh’s takes you to France

If you are looking for a truly relaxing and enjoyable evening with a serene atmosphere, you can stop searching, because I have found the quintessential place: Shiloh’s Steakhouse.

Just from the outside (on Pico Boulevard, of course), you should already be able to tell that this will be a great meal, and experience too, for that matter. With a valet waiting to park your car, a traditional yet sophisticated sign and flowers on the outside,  the restaurant exudes elegance.

However, you have seen nothing until you walk inside. Immediately upon entering, your senses are awakened by the soft lighting, soothing live music (a real guitarist), beautiful modern design, and a feeling of cleanliness. The friendly waiters then greet you with a smile, and you know that this will be a truly pleasurable evening.

Did I forget to mention the fresh red rose petals spread out on the stunning tables, as well as the lit candles? And what about the chic comfortable banquettes, and even a private V.I.P section where stars such as Demi Moore, Ashton Kutcher, Anne Hathaway, and the Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi of Israel — all as seen on a continuous slideshow next to the bathroom (and also their website, www.shilosrestaurant.com) — have enjoyed a meal there?  I cannot think of any way to top this off. And wait, I haven’t even started talking about the food yet.

Of course, looks can be deceiving.  But not in this case.  Remarkable: there is no better way to describe this menu. Ranging from high-end steaks (even a special for a gargantuan sum of $95!), to fish, salads and great sounding appetizers (garlic crusted bone marrow…), you will have trouble making a selection.

Perhaps most surprising at all, you can enjoy all this on a student’s budget. Even with the $20 limit that I am given by The Boiling Point, believe it or not, I ate the best hamburger of my life. I hate when people use this cliché –which is why I never use it – but I honestly have to in this case.

At first sight, it is a huge sandwich that you just wonder how you are even going to fit in your mouth! After trying to figure out a technique for five minutes, you finally take a bite. I promise that your palate will be pleased. For just  $18 (yes, just), you are given a very generous high quality portion of meat, layers of avocado, onion, lettuce, fried pastrami strips, and this magnificent sauce. I think that just the sauce itself is worth the money. Believe me, this experience as a whole is worth more than a mere $18.

Of course, as anyone who has previously been to Shiloh’s would know, this review would not be complete without a mention of the warm baguette and olive tapenade that you are given as hors-d’oeuvres when seated at your table. I can tell you – as someone who is French and knows what real, good French baguette is – that this baguette is as good as it gets. You don’t need to go to France anymore (and why would you anyway?) to eat good bread. Just go to Shiloh’s to have a bite (and maybe even many, many bites) of that exquisite bread.

Before I finish this review, I will for the first time in my column mention something about a bathroom. Who else but the French — Shiloh’s was created by two French brothers — would even think of putting fresh roses in a bathroom?

Overall, just go to Shiloh’s. There is no better way to put it. This is a restaurant not to miss out on. Go there for lunch even for the lunch specials, such as the carved prime rib sandwich ($15). No one will possibly regret this decision. For just $18, you can experience this for yourself. Bon Appetit!

Quality of food: 5 stars. The best hamburger in L.A, not to mention the bread.

Service: 5 stars. Extremely charming and friendly waiters who just want you to have a good time.

Ambiance: 5 stars. Just the ambiance is worth coming for!

Value for price; 4.5 stars. A little expensive, but yet so delicious

Feeling of cleanliness: 5 stars. Very impressive.

Overall Rating: 5 stars.