Most exciting players to watch at Sarachek

YU’s Red Sarachek Tournament starts today in New York City. Here are five players to watch.

BP photo by Katia Surpin

AGGRESSION: FireHawk star point guard Asher Remer leapt toward the basket as a member of the Berman Cougars jumped to block him.

By Kian Marghzar, Staff Writer

Sarachek 2016 is upon us, and New York City becomes the epicenter for Jewish high school hoops with teams from 20 campuses competing today through Monday at Yeshiva University.  You can watch the games live at MacsLive.com

These guys might not all get all-tournament honors, but they are box office. They are the top 5 players to watch this weekend.

Ryan Turell, forward, Valley Torah, Los Angeles

For his height, he has a pretty versatile game. His 6’5″ frame allows him to shoot over his defenders; his handle is superb and he locks up on defense. His game reminds of Giannis Antetokounmpo’s skill set, an all around balanced player.

Sam Schwartzben, center, Heschel, New York City

This guy is a hard working big who gives it all he’s got. He’s a dominant center who goes for every rebound, block, and loose ball. Co-MVP of the Steve Glouberman tournament, Schwartzben is probably the best two way big in the tournament, and he is the anchor of the Heat defense.

Gabriel Leifer, forward, DRS Yeshiva High School, Woodmere, N.Y.

Arguably the best player in the country, Leifer has led his Wildcats to the top seed and favorites in the tourney. He won MVP of the Cooper Tournament earlier in the season, and is the main reason for DRS’s success. There is even video evidence of him dunking in a Yeshiva League game. Look for him to make exciting plays all weekend long.

Ethan Lasko, guard, Yeshiva High School, Boca Raton, Fla. 

Lasko is one of the most equipped offensive players in the tournament. His arsenal includes finishing strong, making plays, and shooting. With all these weapons, it makes it so hard to stop him from getting hot and from the Storm on going on a run. He got all-tournament honors at Cooper, and will look to lead YHS over Maimonides in the first round.

Joseph Schnitzer, guard, Shalhevet

Can I give some Shali love?! Many argue over who the best player is Shalhevet is, and I’m not going to spark that discussion again; Shalhevet doesn’t really have a best okay ear, they shy away from that “Hero-Ball” mentality and okay unselfish basketball, which has earned them a 3 seed. Schnitzer, on the other hand, is the person to watch I look forward to the most. He has improved so much since freshman year and his finale will be one for the ages.