Two members of Shalhevet student support team do not return

BP Photo Illustration by Eli Weiss

GONE: Dr. Ashley Evans, left, and Ms. Esther R’bibo helped students manage academic and emotional issues, respectively.

By Benjamin Gamson, Editor-in-Chief

Two of five members of Shalhevet’s student support team, Dr. Ashley Evins and Ms. Esther R’bibo, have unexpectedly not returned for the 2021-22 school year.

Dr. Evins, who served as the Educational Support Director, informed Head of School Rabbi David Block of her resignation on Aug. 25, the night before the start of classes. 

Since arriving at school in 2015 she had developed a system for supporting students in various subjects, arranging tutoring sessions with a staff that had grown to three more specialists as of this year.

“I know this news is quite shocking and disappointing, especially for those students who were set to work with Dr. Evins this year; it was for us, too,” wrote Rabbi David Block in an email the next day.

He said Mr. Fred Leach and Ms. Valencia Wilson,  Educational Support Specialists who have worked under Dr. Evins in recent years, would cover her cases, and that officials “also plan to hire additional Educational Support Specialists as needed.”

Ms. R’bibo helped students deal with emotional issues including family, social and school related anxiety. She arrived at Shalhevet in 2017 along with Ms. Gaby Marcus, sharing the title of Guidance Counselor. 

“We were also recently informed that Esther Rbibo, our Guidance Counselor, would not be coming back for the start of the school year,” Rabbi Block said in the same email. “We wish Esther only the best. We are thrilled to let you know that Gaby Marcus, our Associate Director of Guidance, is now stepping into this full-time role.”

“In addition, our Guidance Department will be working closely with them to ensure that the “whole” students’ needs are met from all sides.” 

Dr. Evins also taught some English courses while at Shalhevet. 

This year she was scheduled to teach one ninth-grade English composition class, which is being taught by Mr. Weslow instead. 

This is a developing story. Updates will be posted on shalhevetboilingpoint.com.