Dr. Noel will not return next year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dr. Noel will not return next year

LEAVING: Dr. Melissa Noel did research on fetal alcohol syndrome before becoming a teacher.

Gaby Benelyahu

Gaby Benelyahu

Gaby Benelyahu

Hannah Jannol, Arts & Culture Editor

Dr. Melissa Noel, who has taught various biological sciences at Shalhevet for three years, announced to her Advisory group this morning that she would not return next year.

This year she taught Biology to freshmen, along with SAS Biology and Anatomy and Physiology to juniors.

Her departure means no current science teachers will be returning next year.  Ms. Amy Sirkis, who taught chemistry and physics, announced in April that she would be returning to Pilgrim School in Koreatown after one year at Shalhevet.

Dr. Noel declined to state her reason for leaving.  She is now one of five teachers, all but one in General Studies, who will not be returning next year.

“I’m incredibly sad, because she was one of the best science teachers I’ve ever had,” said sophomore Jonah Sanders.

Dr. Noel is originally from Puerto Rico and did research on fetal alcohol syndrome before beginning her teaching career.

Her freshman advisees were upset to hear the news.

“At first we were confused, and then we were really sad   because she is a really good person and always helps students, and is really patient,” said freshman Jordana Glouberman.

Meet the Writer
Hannah Jannol, Editor-in-Chief Emeritus

Hannah Jannol was Editor-in-Chief of the Boiling Point during the 2017-2018 school year. She now lives in Manhattan and attends The New School as a History and Economics major. She writes for their HerCampus chapter, edits obituaries for The Trace, writes poetry for Eleven and a Half literary magazine, and runs an Instagram and Twitter for Uptown Stories. When she's not writing, reading or editing, she is serving pitas at Mamoun's falafel in the Village, or trying a new iced coffee spot with a friend. Her favorite part of being on Boiling Point was production night, and writing long-form features stories, many of which won awards from CSPA, Quill & Scroll and the American Jewish Press Association.