The Boiling Point

From Ethiopia to Princeton to Shalhevet, never what’s  expected for donor relations and business office exec

From Ethiopia to Princeton to Shalhevet, never what’s expected for donor relations and business office exec

January 23, 2018

One of Michelle Baxter’s life mottos is not to plan anything more than a year ahead. “We make plans and God laughs,” Ms. Baxter said. “If you had asked me in college what I was going to be doing, I would have said I would be in the hospital, in the middle of Uganda, helping the babies.”  

An uncensored Ben Shapiro explains controversial views at first YAF event

An uncensored Ben Shapiro explains controversial views at first YAF event

January 21, 2018

Before a standing-room-only lunchtime crowd in the Beit Midrash, conservative speaker and radio host Ben Shapiro this week defended his stances on tran...

‘Strategic shuffling’ and new staff member will cover roles of former principal, Rabbi Segal announces

‘Strategic shuffling’ and new staff member will cover roles of former principal, Rabbi Segal announces

January 11, 2018

Head of School Rabbi Ari Segal said today that a “strategic shuffling will go into effect immediately” in light of the recent removal of Shalhevet’s Principal and Assistant Head of School who was in charge of many areas within the school ranging from admissions and discipline to curriculum development, student life and co-curriculars.

Rabbi Segal tells assembly to focus on moving forward on ‘a cloudy day’

Rabbi Segal tells assembly to focus on moving forward on ‘a cloudy day’

January 9, 2018

Less than 12 hour after the news was released that the Assistant Head of School and Principal will not return in the coming fall, Head of School Rabbi Ari Segal held a 10-minute meeting with the entire school at 8 a.m., Tuesday, Jan. 9.

District winner of Congressional App Challenge is Shalhevet freshman

District winner of Congressional App Challenge is Shalhevet freshman

January 7, 2018

Freshman Samson Taxon has won First Prize for his congressional district in the Congressional App Challenge, a competition that invites high school students to design original computer apps of any kind to share and sell if they’d like.

I’ll have the caprese: New student-tended rooftop garden offers herbs to pick, vegetables for sale

I’ll have the caprese: New student-tended rooftop garden offers herbs to pick, vegetables for sale

January 3, 2018

Ashley Evins usually eats caprese salads as a treat, and rarely has the opportunity to use fresh basil.  But since the planting of a new flower and vegetable garden on the roof, members of the Shalhevet community now have the opportunity to stop by and pick fresh herbs of their liking.

Former Apple Store ‘genius’ is new director of technology

Former Apple Store ‘genius’ is new director of technology

December 6, 2017

Newly staffing Shalhevet’s “genius bar” -- the tech station on the second floor where students can charge their devices and get help with Schoology -- is a former genius at an actual Apple Store, Mr. Nick Parsons, new Director of Technology.

Tech head Robie Gruenfeld, smiling presence who was ‘tight with students’, leaves after three years

Tech head Robie Gruenfeld, smiling presence who was ‘tight with students’, leaves after three years

December 2, 2017

Another change in the technology department at Shalhevet was announced this week, with the departure of Information Technology Associate and Academic Support Technician Mr. Robert Gruenfeld — known as “Robie” (rhymes with Coby) amongst the students and faculty.

9 awards at Princeton Model Congress

9 awards at Princeton Model Congress

November 20, 2017

Committee Awards: Judiciary: Honorable Mention – Talia Gill Appropriations: Honorable Mention – Molly Litvak Health, Education Labor, and Pensi...

Sunday SAT now being given at Shalhevet

Sunday SAT now being given at Shalhevet

November 20, 2017

After 25 years of trekking to locations as far away as Woodland Hills and Willowbrook, for the first time students took the Sunday SAT on Fairfax ...

PAGE THREE: Where feelings go too far

PAGE THREE: Where feelings go too far

November 19, 2017

When we were children, all we could do was feel. We knew very little, so our beliefs were based mainly on intuition. We didn’t know the difference b...

Shalhevet AIPAC Delegation to double in 2018 thanks to scholarships

Shalhevet AIPAC Delegation to double in 2018 thanks to scholarships

November 15, 2017

The number of students planning to attend the spring AIPAC trip is expected to more than double this year, from nine students last year to 20 this March,...