The Boiling Point

Meet Nathan Reynolds, Shalhevet’s interim head of school

Meet Nathan Reynolds, Shalhevet’s interim head of school

July 5, 2010

Nathan Reynolds, former Shalhevet general studies principal and longtime principal of Harvard-Westlake School, has been named Interim Head of Scho...

Recalling Little Rock Nine, Terrence Roberts put a face to history

Recalling Little Rock Nine, Terrence Roberts put a face to history

June 30, 2010

Dr. Terrence Roberts of the Little Rock Nine -- nine students who enrolled in Little Rock Central High School after the Supreme Court ruled segregation...

Shalhevet to take a year’s break from Bat Ami program

Shalhevet to take a year’s break from Bat Ami program

June 30, 2010

When Bat Ami Sara Borenstein and Aviya Cohen said goodbye last week, they took with them a 19-year tradition of Israeli high school graduates infusing...

‘Sustainable Dave’ Chameides is leaving, will move East this summer

‘Sustainable Dave’ Chameides is leaving, will move East this summer

June 26, 2010

"Sustainable” Dave Chameides, Director of Sustainability, announced June 15 via e-mail that he would be moving to Connecticut this summer to “be closer...

Competition spices up school elections

Competition spices up school elections

June 23, 2010

Toby Bern edged out Keren Meir for Agenda Chair and  Meshi Amzalag defeated two candidates for vice chair in the most competitive committee elections...

A message from the Interim Head of School, Nathan Reynolds

June 18, 2010

Dear Shalhevet Parents, My name is Nathan Reynolds. The purpose of this letter is to introduce myself to the    Shalhevet community. In 1992, just after my retirement from Harvard-Westlake, I worked with Jerry Friedman to make his vision of Shalhevet a reality. When the school opened I retired, yet again, and moved to New Mexico. I returned in to Shalhevet in 1997 to...

Interim Head of School announcement from the Shalhevet Board of Directors

June 18, 2010

Dear Friends of Shalhevet, On behalf of the Board of Directors, we are pleased to announce the appointment of Nathan O. Reynolds as Interim Head of School, effective July 1, 2010. Mr. Reynolds is an extraordinarily bright and visionary educator who is no stranger to Shalhevet.  He provided consulting services to Dr. Friedman when Shalhevet was founded in 1992.  As a...

A boost for teens, trees and water conservation

Leila Miller, Arts Editor

May 23, 2010

Rachel Lester’s platform, which she posted on the SoRo website before her election to the  South Roberstson Neighborhood Council, focuses on forming a “teen task force” to unite the community’s teenagers in volunteering activities, encouraging water conservation and tree planting. She also wants to compile a mass community e-mail list “to promote ne...

Rachel Lester elected to SoRo neighborhood panel

Leila Miller, Arts Editor

May 23, 2010

In her black Shalhevet jacket with its blazing red letters, sophomore Rachel Lester assertively approached one of the desk clerks inside the Robertson Recreation Center, where the South Robertson Neighborhood Council (SoRo) election was in progress. Peering at papers on the table, she looked over the list of people who had voted so far and smiled incredulously. “I know thes...

Head of School Rabbi Weinbach resigns, citing family; Mr. Tranchi and Rabbi Leubitz take reins

Head of School Rabbi Weinbach resigns, citing family; Mr. Tranchi and Rabbi Leubitz take reins

May 23, 2010

Rabbi Elchanan Weinbach, who was credited with helping put Shalhevet on a more secure financial footing and strengthening its Modern Orthodox identity,...

Debate vs. New Jew may foreshadow a Jewish league

Debate vs. New Jew may foreshadow a Jewish league

May 23, 2010

Four of Shalhevet’s champion debaters faced tough local competition on March 24 from New Community Jewish High School in an event that may become a model...

Purple and orange? For 2010, SAC offers Color War in a new light

Purple and orange? For 2010, SAC offers Color War in a new light

May 23, 2010

Flocks of students cheered, raced, and stomped through school and La Cienega Park painted purple and orange in a kaleidoscopic display of school spirit,...