More than two dozen try out for first-ever girls flag football team

By Rebecca Elspas, Staff Writer

As the dismissal song on the loudspeaker ended on Friday, Feb. 17, about 30 giggling girls walked out to the Sport Court in shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes, ready to try out for Shalhevet’s first-ever Girls Flag Football Team.

They were joined by an equally if not more excited Mr. Chris Buckley, science and math teacher and Debate advisor, who announced that he would be their coach.

Gathering the girls into a large circle, he told them when practices would be, and then  he added something personal.

“I’m a true football fan,” Mr. Buckley said. “Growing up and still today, I secretly wanted to be a football coach, so, for me, this is a dream come true.”

The basic rules of flag football are similar to those of the mainstream game – often called “tackle football” for contrast – but instead of tackling players to the ground, the defensive team must remove a flag or flag belt from the ball carrier. By following these rules, the players are safer and play in a less physically aggressive way.

Only 12 to 15 girls will be accepted onto the team, which plans to play in a YULA-sponsored national tournament of Jewish schools May 2 – 4 in Los Angeles. Mr. Buckley said the team roster would be posted next week.

Here in Los Angeles, football is one of those sports everyone loves to watch on TV but few know how to play. Flag football is even less common, and Mr. Buckley hopes to create awareness of football in general, and teach the Shalhevet students a new sport.

Most girls who tried out said it was for social reasons, fun or exercise.

“This team is a great way to get to know students from all grades,” said junior Emilie Benyowitz, “plus I think that football is really fun, and I am really excited for the tournament.”

Sophomore Sharona Sedighim said flag football was popular at her old school, Hebrew Academy in Margate, Florida.

“I found it to be a amusing sport,” Sharona said.

Starting next week, Mr. Buckely will announce the girls accepted on the team, and will build from there, deciding who they should play against, and when.

He said ability and experience wouldn’t be the top qualifications to make the team.

“To guarantee a spot on this team, you will need a positive attitude, team willingness, and good hand-eye coordination,” Mr. Buckley said. “If you are a good athlete or can throw a football well, it’s an added bonus, but not a mandatory quality to be part of the flag football team.”