More hair, more money: Students and teachers raise funds for ‘Movember’

GROOMED: History teacher Mr.
Reusch displays his award-winning mustache,
grown in 30 days in November.

Goldie Fields

GROOMED: History teacher Mr. Reusch displays his award-winning mustache, grown in 30 days in November.

By Alec Fields, Staff Writer

The month of November has been a hirsute month at Shalhevet.

In an effort to raise money for the fight against prostate and testicular cancer, Shalhevet students joined a nationwide movement and abandoned the societal norm of shaving for 30 days.  Sponsors pledged various amounts of money for each day in November that a male student didn’t shave.

At the end of the month, Shalhevet participants had together raised more than $1000 to go to Movember.

“It’s a great cause,” said sophomore Kian Marghzar, who raised approximately $120 without, he noted, doing anything. “People can pay me not to shave…They were paying me to be lazy.”

Students were not the only ones who stopped shaving.  Mr. Jason Feld, Jewish History teacher and Coordinator of Education Technology, also decided to participate to raise money for the cause.

“To expand health issues for guys is an important step,” said Mr. Feld, who is also a strong supporter of breast cancer awareness.

Mr. Feld’s unshaven face received mixed responses, but he looks forward to participating next year.  One student gave him a razor for Chanukah.

“[He] said to me, ‘You have to lose the beard,’” Mr. Feld said with a smile.

In addition to the fundraiser, Shalhevet’s observance of Movember included a competition to grow the best mustache, which history teacher Mr. William Reusch won.

“It was in the running for the greatest moment of my life,” said Mr. Reusch.

And although the boys found the no-shaving month fun, the girls thought otherwise.

“They looked like they needed a shower,” said junior Shana Chriki, but Shana still felt that “it was a great cause.”

Movember was not the first awareness month that the Chesed committee brought to Shalhevet. In October, Shalhevet participated in breast cancer awareness month by discussing it in town hall and having a school-wide “pink dress up day.”