Shalhevet news online: When we know it, you'll know it
Back to Article
Back to Article

TOP 10 ESSENTIALS FOR HIGH HOLIDAYS 5780

September 24, 2019

Here come the chagim!  Rosh Hashanah starts Sept. 29, Yom Kippur Oct. 8, and the eight days of Sukkot follow just a few days later on Oct. 13. While this can be an overwhelming time for everyone in the family, the Boiling Point is here to help! Here are the top 10 essentials you’ve always wanted but never knew you needed.

↓jump to #1 — shhh!!↓

10 — CROCS

The ultimate solution to avoid leather and look stylish this Yom Kippur, even without your hydro flask.

9 — APPLES DIPPED IN HONEY FOR ROSH HASHANAH♪♫♪

Apples dipped in honey for Rosh Hashanah … were you singing it too?  Keep your wallet sweet and download the Honey app for automatic coupons, promo codes and deals.

8 — OUTDOOR MOSQUITO REPELLANT

Hashem may have commanded us to sleep outside in our sukkah, but nothing was said about bunking with the new Aedes aegypti mosquitos. Stay safe and buy this new repellant for protection.

7 — FEBREEZE & TIDE-TO-GO STICKS

It might not be Pesach, but we all know those Sephardis who are just waiting to whip out the scallions.

6 — CONSTRUCTION PAPER

You know your sukkah isn’t complete without some DIY paper chains, lanterns, and random plastic fruits hanging from the roof!

5 — TOTE BAG

Head to your local Lululemon to pick up a tote bag free of charge! You’re going to need somewhere to hide all your post-shul snacks and ugly but comfortable walking shoes.  

4 — STORYTELLING ART

The ceramic pomegranate table ornament, screaming for someone to ask you about your recent trip to Israel.

3 — DRESS TO IMPRESS

Forget Urban Outfitters or Zara. Pull up to shul in a chic Party City outfit to remind everyone how much Hashem loves you.

2 A GOOD BOOK

Because October is going to be a holy one, think about picking up a good book to read! Kanye West’s Thank you and You’re Welcome and Snoop Dogg’s From Crook to Cook will help you learn a little more before helping your mom in the kitchen this Chag.

1 A MESSAGE

A special message to send to your friends spending TWO nights of Rosh Hashanah in Israel…Image result for seth meyers you're not better than me gif

Chag sameach from the Boiling Point!

Meet the Writer
Photo of Liad Machmali
Liad Machmali, Torah Editor
Liad Machmali joined the Boiling Point during her freshman year as a staff writer and is now editor of the Torah section. As a freshman she wrote stories about the Young Americans for Freedom club and Rabbi Lieberman’s early-morning gemara shiur, and her column on cheating was published in the LA Times High School Insider. Through journalism, Liad has discovered her passion for writing and keeping her community well-informed. Outside of BP, Liad is also secretary of the Student Activities Committee secretary and enjoys volunteering at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, playing tennis and eating.