• The Boiling Point has reached its millionth online view! Thank you, readers!
Shalhevet news online: When we know it, you'll know it

Maayan Waldman

Maayan Waldman, Co Editor-in-Chief

Ma’ayan Waldman has interviewed, reported, and reviewed for the Boiling Point since ninth grade. She has served as staff writer, Arts Editor and Opinion Editor, Community Editor during her junior year, and is now co-Editor-in-Chief. Aside from her passion for journalism, she also enjoys debate, Mock Trial, and swimming. Outside of school, she loves spending time with her family and friends and listening to music. 

All content by Maayan Waldman
SAS Biology teacher and year-old Head of Science Department taught an advanced Chemistry class, which was established mid-year for sophomores.

Faster-paced classes added to science curriculum for spring semester

By Maayan Waldman, Co-Editor-in-Chief
February 21, 2017

The start of second semester saw the introduction of two new advanced science classes, in response to some students’ concerns...

SPIRIT: Students from all grades spend Friday lunchtime singing under the rakez tent on the roof, led by Rabbi Tsaidi, at left, and Rabbi Block.

Growth in Judaic Studies department means more teachers, more connections

By Maayan Waldman, Co-Editor-in-Chief
October 26, 2016

Six faculty members, most part-time, have joined the Judaic Studies team this year, as school officials try to provide more role...

FESTIVE: Friendship Circle staff and volunteers pose with a clown at last year’s Walk4Friendship Carnival at Rancho Park. This year, the carnival will take place in the Shalhevet Parking lot.

Friendship Circle Walk this Sunday will be based at Shalhevet

By Maayan Waldman, Co-Editor-in-Chief
September 23, 2016

The annual Walk4FriendshipLA will be held at Shalhevet this Sunday, moving the popular group’s annual fundraiser from Rancho...

BLAST: Rabbi Block blows the shofar during Hashkama minyan, a reminder to the students about the importance of listening.

The sound that calls the inner voice

By Maayan Waldman, Co-Editor-in-Chief
September 23, 2016
We can open our mouths all we want to articulate our views and beliefs. We can scour passages of commentators and religious texts with our eyes to take a scholarly approach to religious growth. But real change happens when we act from our ears.

Students ring in $100k for co-curriculars

By Maayan Waldman, Community Editor
May 5, 2016

Sitting or standing around a conference table with cellphones pressed to their ears like brokers at a stock exchange, a dozen...

ECON: Director of College Counseling Aviva Walls, who holds a masters degree from NYUs Stern School of Business, will teach a new SAS Economics class next year.

Only two APs to remain next year as school expands SAS

By Maayan Waldman and Eric Bazak
March 23, 2016

Barron’s books, May exams and curriculum cramming will soon be a thing of the past, as next year there will be just three AP...

SCHOLAR: Mrs. Segal used the Lahav app to teach ninth-grade Gemara last week. She is one of only a few women teaching Gemara on the West Coast.

Ms. Segal and family will move to Israel for prestigious fellowship next year

By Maayan Waldman, Community Editor
March 11, 2016

Judaic studies teacher Ms. Atara Segal, one of the few women to teach Gemara in a Modern Orthodox school and the first to...

PERSONALITY: Models at last months fashion show said organizers dressed them in clothes they would actually wear

Fashion club steps out onto the runway

By Maayan Waldman and Rebecca Navon
February 3, 2016
Seventeen student models walked down a runway one by one Dec. 13 when the Fashion Club’s sponsored its first-ever “Tzniut Can Be Cute” fashion show for women only in the Shalhevet gym, raising about $500 for the National Council of Jewish Women.
Glendale sophomore Steve Dorsey shares his thoughts about whether “the ends justify the means” at Town Hall Dec.3.

Day of talking breaks tension between Glendale and Shalhevet football teams

By Maayan Waldman, Community Editor
February 1, 2016
On the morning of Dec. 3, religion and culture transformed from divisive boundaries to topics for conversations for flag football players from Shalhevet and Glendale Adventist Academy.
SKILLS: Led by seniors Eric Bazak, Shirel Benji and Laly Chriki, students meeting in the Beit Midrash considered school problems using  various techniques and moral perspectives.

Ten hours in 10 days devoted to reinvigorating the Just Community

By Maayan Waldman, Community Editor
November 9, 2015
By the first Town Hall Sept. 11, students had come up with five specific proposals to deal with actual controversies facing the school: dress code and davening policies.
PICO: The intersection of Pico Blvd, and Wooster, where Elat Market is located, was ranked No. 19 in a Los Angeles Times study of the most accident-prone intersections for pedestrians in L.A. County. Seventeen people were injured there between 2002 and 2013.

Accident shines light on dangerous intersections

By Maayan Waldman, Community Editor
September 15, 2015
This past July, a member of the Shalhevet community was involved in a serious pedestrian accident on Gregory Way and La Cienega Boulevard.
SING: The girls of the Shalhevet choir perform at the “Neima: Sing It Forward” competition at YULA Girls High School April 26. They lost to YULA by three points.

Unity meets competition as girls’ choirs sing at YULA

By Maayan Waldman, Opinion Editor
May 3, 2015

In an emotional performance that broke new ground for the group, the Lady Choirhawks took second place at the second annual “Neima:...

STAGE: Lacking a theater this year, Dramas will stage its spring one-acts in various rooms of this home in Beverly Hills. Student playwrights are adapting scenes to what is there, and audience members will walk from room to room.  The scenes are all related and revolve around a birthday party.

No stage? No problem: Drama invites audience to be flies on the wall at ‘Bart’s Birthday Bash’

By Maayan Waldman, Opinion Editor
March 22, 2015
Traditional theaters, it seems, are too mainstream for Shalhevet Drama. In lieu of renting out a theater space as it did last fall for its mainstage production of 'Biloxi Blues,' the department will present its annual student-written One-Acts inside a private home in Beverly Hills.
CLEAN: From left to right, Ilan Bouskilla, Joshua Joffe, Micha Thau and Akiva Reuveni as soldiers, shave and comb their hair by a sink, lucky enough to be in the bathroom for pampering purposes instead of the dreaded latrine duty, often given as a punishment.

Actors bring complexity to comedy in ‘Biloxi Blues’

By Maayan Waldman, Arts and Culture Editor
January 8, 2015

In the dead of the night, a group of soldiers gazes mournfully at their comrade who is soon to be punished after being caught...

Senior David Lorrell as Sgt. Toomey assigns push-ups to discipline recruits in the World War II-era drama Biloxi Blues. Freshmen missed the preview because of a bus problem.

Freshmen miss drama preview when buses don’t show up

By Maayan Waldman, Arts Editor
December 22, 2014

The minutes ticked by last Tuesday afternoon as the drama group sat backstage in their costumes, waiting for the freshmen to arrive...

LOVE: Store owner Karen Halaszi peruses clothing meant to promote self-esteems.

Love your body? Fashion show in Brentwood Sunday will say you should

By Maayan Waldman, Arts & Culture Editor
November 1, 2014

“A woman should be able to look great any size she is,” said Ms. Karen Halaszi, who owns the Karen Michelle Boutique on Robertson...

Sophomores enjoying enjoying cool air, chill atmosphere at B’nai David-Judea

September 16, 2014

Instead of a miserable “Heat Wave Week,” the sophomores, relocated to Bnai David-Judea Congregation, enjoyed working air-conditioning,...

SOLO: New Judaic Studies teacher Noey Jacobson hopes to take his singing career beyond the Maccabeats.

Wait – my Tanakh teacher is a singing astronaut?

September 10, 2014

A member of the Maccabeats -- the famous Yeshiva University singing group -- is working part-time at Shalhevet this year while...

COMPUTER: Paul Merritt, playing says video games involve the viewer more than TV can.

SENIOR SNAPSHOT: Paul Merritt, Gamer

By Maayan Waldman, Staff Writer
June 17, 2014

Command A: climb tower. Command Z: raise shield. Command C: first person view. Command ZA:  attack. It’s lunchtime, but...

WINNERS: Tamar Willis, Nicole Feder and Goldie Fields accept the Gold Crown Award from CSPA’s C. Bruce Watterson in New York City.

Boiling Point wins awards for web, print, Jewish coverage

By Maayan Waldman, Staff Writer
June 3, 2014

Continuing a yearly trend for The Boiling Point, five students have won national awards announced this month – two of them in...

UNPREPARED: An investigation into the Nov. 1 shooting at LAX found that airport security did not know how to direct people and panic alarms did not indicate their location.  Mayor Eric Garcetti said the alarms have been upgraded, and text messages can be sent to all passengers in an emergency.

Lack of information hurt emergency response after the LAX shooting

By Maayan Waldman, Staff Writer
May 2, 2014

Poor communication and coordination among first responders hampered the emergency response to the Los Angeles International Airport...

ENGAGING: Math teacher Mrs. Gina Fuller aids sophomores during Geometry class last month. She is returning to Maine at semester’s end for her husband’s new job as director of an international techonology initiative.

Mrs. Fuller moving to Maine next semester, school seeks replacement

By Maayan Waldman, Staff Writer
January 17, 2014

Continuing a trail of temporary math teachers over the past two years, Shalhevet’s newest part-time math teacher, Mrs. Gina...

Load More Stories

Comments (0)

All The Boiling Point Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest