KIAN’S CALLS: NBA Preview – Who’s in, who’s out, who’s tanking

By Kian Marghzar, Staff Columnist

Shalhevet students are so swamped with homework and co-curriculars, they forget what really matters: sports!  That’s what I’m here for: to give you all the information that you need to qualify as a sports fan.

In this first column, I offer a quick review of what you missed during the NBA free agency period while you were away – a time of trades and strategy —  and a few games to save in your calendar for when the season begins.

LA team with a chance: Clippers

The Clippers look to get past the second round of the playoffs this year for the first time in franchise history. Their depth, which was a clear issue in last year’s playoffs, has been bolstered with the addition of Paul Pierce, Josh Smith, and Lance Stephenson.

Pierce, 37 and a former NBA Finals MVP, will assume the veteran’s role. Josh Smith, formerly of the Rockets, will be another athletic big and a solid backup for Blake Griffin. Stephenson’s versatility on offense and defense will also be key.

But even though the Clippers kept their core intact and made vital additions, it will be hard to compete in a stacked Western Conference. Their old rivals the Memphis Grizzlies, along with the Oklahoma CityThunder and the Golden State Warriors, will be very tough competition to beat.

Game to watch: Rockets at Clippers on Jan. 18 on TNT (Rockets came back from 3-1 to get to the WCF).

A back-stabber: DeAndre Jordan.

A story that made headlines over the summer was what happened to the Dallas Mavericks in what came to be known as the Jordan saga.

Basically, the star Clipper made a verbal agreement to sign with Dallas before the free agency period started (meaning he couldn’t actually sign the contract, just agree to it), then started a Twitter feud with players from the Clippers and Mavericks by posting emojis of modes of transportations showing that they were determined to visit his house, no matter how far away it was, and convince him to sign with their respective team. Later that same day, reports said that Clippers players had locked him in his house and weren’t letting him leave.

Jordan eventually re-signed with the Clippers without even calling his agent or Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Game to watch: Clippers at Mavericks is Nov. 11 at 5:00 on ESPN.

A team destined to plummet: the Portland Trail Blazers

Arguably the team that was affected the most by free agency this year, the Trail Blazers lost four starters, including four time All-Star LaMarcus Aldridge. The only current recognizable player on their roster is Damian Lillard.

Since Lillard has no real support, Portland will miss the playoffs this season. The Western Conference is just too strong.

If I were them, I’d already be scouting top lottery picks for the next draft.

Game to watch: November 5th, Grizzlies at Portland on TNT.

For the bandwagoner fans reading this, here’s the big-stack bully once again: San Antonio Spurs

Aldridge left Portland to join the Western Conference super-team. With the addition of Aldridge and David West, and the retaining of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard, the Spurs are top candidates for winning the title once more.

Now that Duncan, who is 39, has teammates with All-Star experience in West and Aldridge, he can rest even more than he did last season. Watch out for the Spurs to give the defending champion Warriors a run for their money in the West.

Game to watch: Spurs at Trail Blazers Nov. 11 at 7:30 on ESPN, Aldridge’s first visit to Portland since leaving.

To conclude, here’s some advice to that person who wants to follow the NBA but simply does not have the time. Spare 10 minutes every day of the NBA season to log on to NBA.com and watch two videos.

The Daily Zap. It recaps all the action from the night in the league, highlighting any big performances, win-streaks, and all notable news.

The Top Plays. You gotta watch the crazy alley-oops, ankle-breakers, or buzzer beaters of the night. It’s a must.