• The Boiling Point has reached its millionth online view! Thank you, readers!
Shalhevet news online: When we know it, you'll know it

Lady Firehawks take 3rd Place in Galbut Basketball Tournament in Miami

By Sigal Spitzer, Sports Editor

Surpassing expectations and overcoming jet lag and even a broken nose, the Girls Varsity basketball team won 3rd place at the Hyman P. Galbut Basketball Tournament Feb. 13- 17 in Miami.

Twelve teams, all from Orthodox Jewish high schools, competed in the tournament, which was hosted by Hebrew Academy of Miami.

Last year the team finished in fourth place out of five teams in the Robert M. Beren Academy Yaffee Basketball Tournament hosted in Houston, Texas.  This year, Head of School Rabbi Ari Segal and Athletics Director Eli Schiff decided the girls should head to Miami instead and try the Galbut, which they also competed in three years ago.

Senior Ariela Feitelberg, who also attended the Miami tournament in 2010, said many factors contributed to the strong showing, including the influence of Coach Ronnie “Flava” Winbush.

“The talent is a lot better this year, and the chemistry of the team is a lot better,” Ariela said. “But much credit goes to Flav, because he is a lot more dedicated and loves coaching us. He has brought out the best in every one of us.”

Chaperoned by Coach Flava and Registrar Lili Einalhori, the girls arrived in Miami Feb. 13 exhausted from a six-hour flight.   In a rented 15-person van, they headed to host family homes and rested up before the first game.

Though not recovered from the time difference, Shalhevet narrowly defeated Ida Crown Jewish Academy of Chicago that night.  Chicago had a chance to catch up because of three foul shots, but they missed all their free throws and the Firehawks took the victory 37-35.

On Thursday, an early breakfast and davening preceded two hard-fought battles. The first was against Central Yeshivah University High School For Girls from New York’s Five Towns area.  The whole game was neck-and-neck, but Central won by two points.  In the afternoon, the Firehawks faced Yavneh Academy of Dallas Texas.  Defending against outside shots and the post, the Firehawks won again 33-32 in overtime.

That victory took the Firehawks into the tournament playoffs.  Their first-round playoff game Friday was against Fuchs Mizrachi of Beachwood, Ohio, was a breeze. Shalhevet won by 13 points, heading into Shabbat with confidence.

In the next playoff round on Saturday night, Shalhevet lost to the home team, Miami’s Hebrew Academy 34 – 31. Losing in the semi-finals ensured the final spot of 3rd place.

During the final game, freshman Nicole Newman was injured when  sophomore on the Hebrew Academy team, Rachel Kahn, elbowed her in the nose after a jump ball. Though it was not bleeding, doctors said it was broken. To prevent future injuries, she wore a face mask for the rest of the basketball season.

A foul was called on the play, and Nicole was taken to a Miami hospital when the game was over and again when she got home to Los Angeles.  Both doctors said her nose was broken.

In addition to the regular basketball tournament, the tournament hosted individual competitions leading to personal awards. Senior Ariela Feitelberg took second place in the 3-point Shootout, while sophomore Sigal Spitzer took first place in the Hot-shot Competition.

On Shabbat, junior and starter Sharona Sedighim gave an inspiring dvar Torah about the parsha to the various schools.  The Lady Firehawks walked 2.4 miles to the school on Friday night and Saturday morning.  To pass time, they sang Shabbat songs and strategized for upcoming games.