Mr. Feld will take over tech and iPad program; Aviva Walls of NewJew replaces Dr. Mercer

GUIDANCE: Aviva Walls, currently Associate Director of College Guidance/Associate Dean of Academic Advisement at New  Community Jewish High School in West Hills, will take over as Director of College Counseling and Academic Advisement next fall.
googleplus.com
GUIDANCE: Aviva Walls, currently Associate Director of College Guidance/Associate Dean of Academic Advisement at New Community Jewish High School in West Hills, will take over as Director of College Counseling and Academic Advisement next fall.

By Eric Bazak, Staff Writer

With two key administrators leaving Shalhevet next year, Judaic Studies teacher Mr. Jason Feld will assume Jason Ablin’s job as Coordinator of Educational Technology and Curricular Integration, and Ms. Aviva Walls will replace Director of College Counseling Dr. Steven Mercer.

Mr. Feld will take charge of Shalhevet’s new iPad program and continue with his current responsibilities as teacher of Jewish History and Modern Middle East.

All ninth- and 10th-graders are slated to have iPads next year.

“I have been involved in the [iPad] program’s development early on and throught the year,” Mr. Feld said. “I think it is a great program and when Rabbi Segal asked me to be the head, I felt I was capable and more than happy to do it.”

Mr. Feld’s qualifications also include a Master’s from American Jewish University and having completed Yeshiva University’s Lead Program, a course designed for leaders in Jewish education.

Ms. Walls, who is currently Associate Dean of Academic Advisement at New Community Jewish High School, will have the title of Director of College Guidance and Academic Advisement at Shalhevet. An alumna of Seattle Hebrew Academy and Northwest Yeshiva High School in Seattle, she is a graduate of Barnard College and earned a master’s from NYU’s Stern College of Business. Earlier she was an Admissions officer for Barnard College and New York University, according to Head of School Rabbi Ari Segal.

In an e-mail sent to the Shalhevet community May 14, Rabbi Segal said Ms. Walls had also presented at national and regional conferences to talk about the importance of campus visits when choosing a college, and has toured more than 40 universities herself.

Ms. Walls visited Shalhevet in early May for an interview and met with students, parents and faculty.

“Just about everything about her impressed me,” Head of School Rabbi Segal said in an interview. “Her recommendations were stellar, she had a positive attitude, and really understands the school. She really is a model fit of who we want on our staff.”

Among the students who met her were sophomore Zev Marcus and junior Liat Menna.

Zev admired her dedication and friendliness.

“I think Mrs. Walls will be a great college counselor because she relates to the kids,” Zev said. “She even said that she will always be willing to help me.”

Junior Liat Menna said Ms. Wall had a “great personality” and looks forward to having her in the school

next year.

“I think she is very nice and outgoing,” Liat said. “It seems like she knows what she’s doing and will be very proactive. I look forward to working with her.”